Monday, October 27, 2014

Jersey Boy

One of the biggest advantages about moving back to the East Coast after a year in Kansas City is the close geographical proximity we have to places comprised mainly of buildings, rather than corn. Living out there had its charms, to be sure, but when the best a 3-hour drive could do is get you to the likes of Tulsa or Omaha, one realizes just how much he misses home, and family.

It was with that in mind that I made two trips to New Jersey earlier this summer, where I was born and lived until kindergarten before moving to Virginia. My uncle's family still lives there, and after a challenging first couple months back in this area, I decided to get away for a weekend and drive up to see them. It was the best thing I ever could have done. I reconnected with family, put some tough times behind me, and perhaps most importantly, I met the meatball. She's back south for the year, but that wasn't going to stand in the way of more good Jersey memories for me.

Friday Night Lights


It's a quick drive to east Jersey from Baltimore; I left after work Friday and made it in time for dinner. By dinner, I mean, I skipped pasta with homemade bolognese sauce to get to a local high school football game in the fourth quarter. The mighty Red Bank Catholic Caseys were 6-0 on the season and destroying the also-undefeated Manalapan Braves 28-7 by the time I got there, and went on to win 35-7. RBC has scored 319 points in seven games now this fall, only allowing 30. Yikes. They dem boyz.

A spirited bunch
I knew none of this going into the game, and had no idea there even was a game until I got to my uncle's house in Little Silver, right next to Red Bank. He mentioned the possibility of going, and I was sold. The RBC side of the stands was packed when we got there, so we sat with the visiting fans. I make fun of Gina all the time for her accent, which she insists doesn't exist, but it does. You can't grow up in that part of Jersey and not have an accent, but it's fine, my dear. It's the voice of an angel. It's the voice of something, at least. We sat right in front of the cheerleaders, and it was probably as Jersey as the stereotype suggests. All Italians who had come down from Brooklyn and Staten Island to live in Jersey. All the girls with high hair. All last names with vowels at the end (hey Rizzo? Rizzo? RIZZO?!?). I was endlessly entertained by them, and the screaming parents. ("'Ay, 'ay, throw da bool down da field!)

After the game we picked up my cousin Ann, who's a junior in high school and doesn't have her license yet. She was at a party -- well, a bunch of people meeting at a huge coffee shop in neighboring Long Branch. To be fair, it was a pretty cool coffee shop with a lively atmosphere and engaging clientele. The problem is, if you don't have a coffee bar and if you have to sit down for the coffee or food to be delivered and you can't get anything to go, what's the point? Come on, Inkwells. Let's get it together.

After we got home that night, it was off to bed to be ready for our trip up to Hoboken the next morning.

Saturday, What a Day

I mean..can't beat this view

My other cousin Chris has started his collegiate career this fall at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, right across the Hudson from New York City. It's a small school, with less than 3,000 undergrads, but it's great for engineering (and I'd hope many other programs, seeing as tuition, room, and board costs over $58,000 a year) and that's what he wants to do. It's a gorgeous campus, though small, on a hill with views out over the river onto Manhattan. The place is hard to beat in the fall, with the festive foliage in full effect on the green, lush grounds.

We walked around campus for a bit, but there really is only so much you can do there, before heading down to the promenade. We followed that for a bit and made our way into the rest of Hoboken.

If Hoboken was anywhere near affordable, it could be a fun place to live. It's stunningly scenic and provides convenient, quick access into New York. You can go jogging, walk your dog, sit in the park, stroll along the river, whatever you want. Everything you need is right on Washington Street -- a never-ending multitude of shops, bars, restaurants, etc. Therein lies the problem, however. The street is huge, and it's busy, but there's not much outside of it. Parking would be a nightmare. For the price you have to pay to find a decent place to live in Hoboken, I'd rather look at options elsewhere.

Normal size paper plate. Not-so-normal size pizza.
Still, a place with the biggest slice of pizza I've ever had, with no exaggeration, can't be all bad, so I was content for the afternoon. From what I hear, this particular establishment called Benny T's has a unique hallmark in which parents bring their newborn babies and hold them up against one slice of pizza. It's my kind of place. There's also a Ben and Jerry's and a Rita's down the street, so I was content for the afternoon.

Chris packed his stuff, and we headed back south to Little Silver. Let me tell you, driving around the area by Newark and its airport is the stuff dreams are made of, if your dreams feature never-ending factories, parking lots, and train tracks. My body is tingling even now.

We spent the rest of Saturday afternoon watching college football -- I'm embarrassed to be a Michigan fan at the moment. Aunt Kate made a delicious dinner with grilled shrimp, steak, green beans, Caesar salad, and rice pilaf. I want more of it now, please. A few competitive rounds of the card/board game Sequence brought out a desire for dessert that simply needed to be satisfied immediately, so I took Ann and Chris to Hoffman's and we gorged ourselves like animals. All three of us are tiny, but don't let that fool you. We're tanks. The best part was, Sunday morning would bring another change to indulge.

 

Sunday


Gina's lovely mother lives in a nearby town -- the same one I lived in, in fact -- and we'd agreed to meet for breakfast at 9:30. My aunt was insistent upon our family going to church at 11:30, so I figured that's fine, I mean, how long can breakfast take, right? Should make it back in time with ease. I had met Bonnie the two times I'd been up to Jersey before, but only for a few minutes on each occasion, so sure, I was nervous. I got there at 9:15 even though the place we went was literally a two-minute drive from my uncle's house. After being five minutes later to my first date with Gina, though, clearly I wasn't going to take any risks this time around.

Ninety minutes full of sparkling conversation later, I was a happy camper. I had an omelet with pastrami (when in Jersey, right?), caramelized onions, spinach, and provolone cheese. We had a great talk about a wide variety of things, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing her again in November on my next visit to Jersey.

Church was fine -- it's church so, I mean, ehh -- and we got back to my uncle's just in time for more football. After Michigan's disastrous performance on Saturday, I was thrilled that my Buffalo Bills came to Jersey and made a mockery of the hopeless Jets and Geno Smith. There are very few places I'd rather be than walking off that field after throwing three interceptions in the first quarter. New York/New Jersey sports fans are many things, but kind-hearted and patient are not two of them.

After the game, I packed up my stuff, thanked my family for yet another great weekend, the third one I've had with them these past few months, and hit the road back to Baltimore. It'll be a quiet weekend at home in Virginia this week, but the weekend after is beckoning already. My triumphant return to South Carolina. The meatball. Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment